I ran across the following statistics the other day. I am curious to hear from you about what you think this means for pastors/preachers/teachers as we endeavor to communicate God's word to people?
Do you know that in the USA:
- Over 50% of people over age 16 are functionally illiterate.
- 58% of the US adult population never reads a book after high school graduation.
- 42% of college graduates never read another book.
- 80% of US families did not buy or read a book in 2002.
- 57% of new books are not read to completion. Most readers do not get past page 18 in a new book that they purchase.
- Each day, people in the US spend 4 hours watching TV, 3 hours listening to the radio and 14 minutes reading magazines.
- 65% of American children have television sets in their bedrooms.
- It is estimated that people spend as much as 80% (38 hours per week) of their non-working time, non-sleeping time in front of a television or computer screen.
- Nearly 70% of the worlds population (4+billion) are oral communicators.
- That means...only 20% - 30% of the worlds inhabitants are are print or literate communicators.
- Researchers believe that 70% or more of North America's people prefer non-literate means of communication.
Statistics originated from Echo.